Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Scenic run




Tonight I headed to track practice after enjoying a lovely dinner of tater tot casserole and some dough rolls=) With my tummy still full I jogged to practice to find that no one was there yet. Then I saw a girl running toward me from the track. She and I were both confused on where everyone was, so we decided to run on our own. She introduced herself as Rena and we quickly began our run together. On our run I learned that she was from Finland and had been here for 5 months visiting her friends. She had stayed in Bangor last semester so she understood my situation with studying abroad. We ran across the Menai Bridge and into Anglesey Island, to the top of the hills to where the mountains and the Menai Strait were both visible. It was so beautiful, even at night, just barely being able to see the peaks of the mountains covered in snow. We continued our run around Anglesey Island for an hour, talking the whole time about everything from fashion in Bangor to Finland and English food. I learned a lot from her and really enjoyed our run. After we got back to our dorms we said goodbye and planned to see each other again on Thursday at practice. It'll be nice to see a familiar face. I was nervous about going to practice alone by myself since I still don't know everyone that well, but I'm glad I did, or I would have not met Rena and gotten to know her. It was definitely a memorable run=)

And I can't forget to mention that it was the National Day of Wales yesterday, March 1st, known as St. Davids Day (Dewi Sant), commemorating the patron saint of Wales. On this day people often wear daffodils or leeks, the national emblems of Wales. We celebrated this special day by having a test in Tecwyns class=/ But it was definitely appropriate since it was over Welshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment