Thursday, January 21, 2010

what is meatloaf?

The last 2 days have been the most stressful days yet since I've been here. Figuring out our classes and fitting them into our schedule on a system unlike ours at home couldn't get any harder. Their system of classes is based on what school they are enrolled in, depending on what they are studying, unlike our liberal arts program where we take a variety of classes outside of our major in order to graduate. They also only go to the University for 3 years, and before they are at a University they are in College for 4 years, taking classes much similar to ours, where they take a variety of class subjects. But I finally figured out my schedule and I'm taking a Exploring the New Testament, for my religion credit, and The History of Art Renaissance, for my history credit, while taking a welsh history class with Tecwyn, which all the Americans take, and of course, my Outdoor Pursuits class! My schedule shouldn't be too difficult, especially since most of the classes don't have course work, just 2 essays, one at midterms and one for the final. Its quite a bit different than ours back home, and it relies on a lot of outside of class reading.

Outside of figuring out our classes on Wednesday, we made our way to the Morrison's for dinner and bought supplies to make tacos, around 4pm because we hadn't had time to eat lunch due to all the meetings and walking around for classes and such. We ended up eating about 4:30 and watched "Shes the Man" in Megan's room all scrunched on the bed. It was the perfect end to our busy day. When i got back to my room, Nikki and Liz were watching YouTube videos and we ended up doing that for a good 2 hours, they were showing me all the contestants on the "X factor" and British Idol", two of the popular shows here.

Thursday started early for all of us, we were out the door by 10am and didn't get back until 4 in the afternoon, from walking to all the buildings to get our classes registered. We stopped at a small restaurant for lunch called "Mikes Bites" that is known for its breakfast, and it really was amazing! For their breakfast, they put together beans, toast, eggs, sausage, bacon, and hash browns...it was heavenly. And apparently beans are put with most dishes, even breakfast! While we were sitting in the lounge beneath the restaurant we met a friendly lawyer to be, Dan, that was doing some last minute "revising", aka studying, for his exam. We talked to him about all kinds of stuff, from typical Welsh foods to weird American dishes. When we finally got back to the dorms, we decided a movie sounded like a good idea , so we watched "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and "Stepbrothers" with a quick dinner in between. We ended up chatting with some of Megan's flat mates for a couple hours, and thought it was funny when they didn't know what meatloaf was or cool whip...but had different names for each. It was a late night and a busy day but I had so much fun spending time with the girls and meeting the locals, like Dan, at Mike's Bites.

Today is pretty much a free day, although we have our first Outdoor Pursuits meeting at 4pm, so most of us slept in, of course, today the cleaning ladies came early to clean our kitchen, so I didn't get much sleep. I was brutally awaken when there was a loud knock on my door asking who knows what, so i simply answered the door and said no I'm good, and hoped that's what she was referring to=/

Its surprising to hear how many people say "cheers" when referring to "thank you" and their form of "whats up?" is "You OK?"...I never know how to respond, and I always wonder if I look like I'm sick to them when they ask, so I tell them, "yes, I'm fine". We share our stories with Tecwyn and he just laughs, and we laugh too. I'm loving Wales=)

No comments:

Post a Comment